The Cascade Institute is based at Royal Roads University and acknowledges that our headquarters are located on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lekwungen (Songhees) nations. We recognize that their ancestors and peoples have lived on these lands for thousands of years. It is with gratitude that we now learn, work, and conduct research on these Lands. We also recognize that beyond the land acknowledgment, we all play a role in transforming our relationships, communities and our world.
This position is a 3-year contract with the possibility of extension dependent on performance and funding.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, Cascade Institute, the Administrative Assistant provides effective administrative support to the Cascade Institute leadership team. This position has a predominantly administrative focus with an emphasis on written communications and presenting a positive, professional image for the Cascade Institute and Royal Roads University.
- Provides effective administrative and clerical support including Outlook email communications and calendar management, creates/revises/formats MSOffice documents, reports and presentation materials
- Act as central point of contact for Institute inquiries to provide effective customer service, and redirect as necessary to appropriate staff members
- Drafts routine correspondence for review and signature
- Responds to telephone and email communications
- Maintains and updates distribution/membership lists and other operational tracking records
- Provide accurate administrative data tracking and generate reports as requested by the leadership team
- Prepares expense claims for review and signature
- Supports meeting and event logistics as required, including booking locations and catering through EMS
- Provides travel assistance and planning as required
- Arranges for couriers and distributes mail; orders office supplies and printed materials
- Supports the Cascade Institute leadership team with projects and administrative tasks as assigned
- Relevant diploma or equivalent combination of experience and professional development plus 3-5 years of recent administrative support, clerical experience, education and training
- Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated experience using MS Office Suite, including Outlook and various cloud storage and collaboration platforms (e.g., SharePoint)
- Organized self-starter with strong time-management skills and the ability to multi-task, to prioritize workload to deadlines, and cope with interruptions and changing priorities
- Demonstrated commitment to quality and pride of work; accuracy and meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability to exercise initiative, think critically, demonstrate good judgment (know when to escalate issues), and employ diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Experience in event and meeting planning an asset
- A positive attitude and is comfortable working both independently and in a team -based environment
- Strong computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint